Saturday, January 23, 2010

NI HAO! (I think...)

Greetings from China!!

I would say hello in chinese, but turns out they speak Cantonese here, so I might as well not know any Mandarin. (yes, Caelyn speaks Cantonese as well). However, everyone is taught Mandarin at school, so we may still be able to communicate a little.

So, yeah! we're in China! :)) Its very cold here. And we aren't all that jet-lagged, except that we go to bed and wake up early every night. We havent done much yet, just looked around the shops and ate at restraunts and such. Our hotel is huge! and its soo pretty! Its in the middle of the downtown GuangZhou area. Carli and I are in our own room, and my parents are in the other. Caelyn will stay with my parents because she needs to attatch to them before us. I cant access my blog here because certain websites are blocked (including Facebook). China is a very secure (or should I say insanely strict) country. However, I can access email (obviously) and can update my blog that way.

I know you guys care about us, so here are some prayer requests:
1) So far I've noticed we are all exhausted and my parents especially are stressed. Which makes us less patient with each other. Please pray that we would love each other; be compassionate, selfless, and sensitive.
2) For Caelyn. :)) She is leaving everything she knows and loves to stay with us- foreigners.
We keep looking at this from her perspective: You know how Chinese speak English. The majority of them sound hilarious- you know mixing the "l" with the "r" etc, etc, etc. Well, we sound just as weird speaking Chinese, so when we try we'll sound like idiots. Its like you leaving your home, country, etc and living with people attempting to speak English, but for the most part speaking gibberish. Its a scary thought.
Anyways, so just pray that God would give her peace, and somehow allow us to accurately relay our good intentions and love for her. I know she'll be scared and we only want to help her.
We will meet her tomorrow, Monday here. On Tuesday afternoon she will legally become part of our family. There are an astounding 42 children getting adopted before the Chinese New Year (Feb 14), so our process will take a little longer due to waits and lines. Please pray that the stress will not be overwhelming and we'll be able to appreciate our time with Caelyn in her homeland.
3) PRAISE. God has been so good to us thus far! We have had minimal complications- and with all those airports- thats amazing! Everything has worked out so smoothly! Glory be to God!

I am making a list called "You know you're in China if...". When it is complete I will put it on here. :))

In Him,
   Chelsey :))

P.S. visit my mom's website for PICTURES: www.caelynyibennett.shutterfly.com


2 comments:

  1. I am praying for your family as you are on this wonderful journey! Cailyn is so lucky to have you as her family and soon she will know what that feels like. Lots of love to you as you prepare to meet her on Monday-I can't wait to see her! Avery has been following with me on your blog:)
    P.S. Avery spoke lots of mandarin, so rest assured you will be able to speak with her just fine. Probably a lot more than we knew, which was like 5 chinese words:)
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are off to a great start! You all are constantly in my prayers as I go about my day. Counting down the hours with you all. Grace smiles so big to know that Yang Yi will be with her Mama and Baba and 2 Jie jie VERY soon. So the whole process - 2 months in - must have switched to a generally positive one in her mind. Hoping and Praying the same for Caelyn. :)

    Shelley (& Grace Qiao)

    ReplyDelete