Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Story of Adoption, Caelyn's Gifts, and my Thankful Heart..


We made it! I soaked in the sights as my feet landed on solid ground, smiling at my sister as my parents hurried us along towards baggage claim.  “Huan ying lai Zhong Guo! Welcome to China!” declared our friendly translator Rebecca. I was filled with excitement as I climbed into the shuttle. After everyone was seated, Rebecca began to explain our agenda for the next twelve days.
      “This is the week you have all been waiting for- some of you have waited several years. In just two days you will finally meet your children. We will meet the babies at twelve o’clock tomorrow…”
      The excitement was almost too much to bear. I couldn’t believe we had actually made it to China. In just forty-eight hours I would be united with my new, long-awaited sister. God had been so present and faithful throughout the whole adoption process. It all started eighteen months ago when my dad and I went on a short-term mission trip to an orphanage in Jiang Jin, China. There the Lord tenderly broke my heart and softened my dad’s. For years he had been stubbornly apposed to the idea of adoption. His constant reasoning against my mom’s ever-melting heart was, “Just because there’s a need doesn’t mean there’s a calling.”  So nothing surprised me more than my dad’s strong conviction to adopt a child as soon as we left China. When we got back, we immediately started the process and began making preparations for our newest addition to the family. I wrote an appeal to my school asking for permission to learn Mandarin Chinese. The permission was granted and I began the seemingly eternal process of learning my youngest sister’s native tongue. Now, after six months of Chinese and eighteen months of waiting, we were on our way to be united with her at last.
      Two days later, excitement was high, but nerves were higher. While we waited to see our six-year old sister for the first time, my mom lectured my sister and I on how to hold the cameras as we both recorded the meeting. The enthusiasm was high, but the impatience was higher. My sister and I nodded, too excited to pay attention. We waited in eager expectation, staring at the door as if we would miss her in the blink of an eye. The doorknob turned and we heard her name, “Yang Yi!” We hustled up to the door, cameras ready, squealing with delight. Slowly the door opened and there stood my youngest sister, Caelyn Yang Yi Bennett.
      I will never forget the perplexed look on her face. Her precious eyes displayed so many emotions with just one glance: excitement, fear, confusion, happiness, sadness. My parents got down on her level and called her over. She approached us slowly, clutching something tightly in her tiny hands. Then, as if something had clicked, she pointed at us with knowing eyes. Rambling in Chinese, her face began to glow. “Mama! Baba!” she came forward with confidence and hugged us all one by one. She pulled my mom close and revealed the treasures that she grasped so tightly in her hands: two sticks of gum and two lollipops. She joyfully distributed these gifts to her new family, beaming with pride as we gawked over the scene. It was all so clear in that moment: we were family. She was meant to be with us, and finally we were together.
      I smiled profusely as I began to realize what a blessing my sister’s adoption was. I beamed from the inside out, filled with joy as I witnessed the pinnacle fulfillment of my family’s hope. I held her small gift, a precious lollipop, in my hand with such dignity. Her small gesture spoke such high volumes of truth to my soul. I realized in that moment that I am incredibly blessed and had only just begun the grandiose journey of learning what it truly means to have
A Thankful Heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment